It is very important to use the correct amounts. Bleaching powder, also called chlorinated lime, is common and inexpensive. It comes in powder form and is either white or yellowish in colour. In powder form, bleaching powder is safe to handle. When it is mixed with water, it is more dangerous.
Read and understand labels.
Use measuring cups.
Closely estimate how much water the containers can hold.
Bleaching powder loses its strength over time in storage. It becomes corrosive:- it can rot the container it is in and rust metals, if it comes in contact with moisture. Therefore, it is important that bleaching powder is kept in containers made of wood, ceramic or plastics and in cool, dark and dry place.
Using more than the stated amounts of chlorine in water supply is injurious to health. Remember that bleach is a strong chemical that can poison if swallowed and the eyes can be seriously injured if bleach gets in them. A strong solution of bleaching powder mixed with water will cause red, sore skin or rashes if it spills. Fumes from a bleaching powder solution can cause injuries to lungs. Severe injury occurs if bleaching powder or a bleaching powder solution is swallowed. Ensure that bleaching powder is kept away from children.
To chlorinate using bleach, it is necessary to:
Chlorinating Small Water Pools:
The drinking water source can be disinfected with regular household bleach. Household bleach contains 5 per cent of chlorine. Read the label to make sure that it contains only ordinary bleach and does not contain other cleaning agents.
Add four drops of the bleach in four litres (one gallon) of water.
If the water looks dirty and filtering is not possible, add eight drops of bleach to four litres (one gallon of water).
Mix thoroughly and let the water stand for 15 minutes.
There should be a slight taste of the bleach after 15 minutes and no taste after 30 minutes. If there is still a taste of bleach after 30
minutes, next time use a drop less.